Monday 19 November 2007

Thoughts while stationary - Personal limits and Comfort Zones


It's done.

I've reached Padang Besar and in so doing covered about 1200 kms from the southernmost tip to near the northernmost. Put in perspective, it is nothing compared to the distance covered by many others. And yet, without sounding apologetic, I feel I've achieved something.

We all have our comfort zones, the boundaries of which we regard as our personal limits. My last few years have been a little about pushing some of those boundaries a bit at a time. This ride was no different.

I must admit that my return from Padang Besar was immensely satisfying. I found myself counting off the kilometres, realising each one passed was one more closer to the final one for this ride. I'd pushed a number of personal boundaries and was feeling great for it.

I'd met some really nice people, seen some wonderful sights, learnt some new things, made some new friends and in so doing, accomplished some of what I'd set out to do. Not all, you ask? Well, as the chain went around and around, so too did the philosophy of the ride. One link led to another. One idea to another.

The idea of the ride, as conceived at the start, has largely been met. There are bits yet to go - writing more about some of the people I've met, compiling the material and so on. There's also the promise of an article in NST (if they can catch up with me finally - they've been calling me since Melaka!) and my two promised articles in The Star to come. But by and large, I've done most of what I'd wanted to do.

But new ideas are slowly emerging. Primarily - what next?

Well, let me ask you - what next indeed?

If you've been following my journal, it's likely because you share some of the ideas I have. Many of you shared my opinion that there is just so much bad news floating about nowadays, perhaps we need to remind ourselves that things aren't all that bad. Give ourselves that little bit of impetus to go on another day. Certainly the stories of Hamzah, Supriani, the DAP and UMNO blokes in Pekan Seri Menanti, David Munusamy, are all in their own way, heartwarming, inspiring even.

But is that all? Just a few nice stories?

Well, I wrote once about 'Influence'. Let me revisit that a bit. And without being big-headed, let me set out a bit of a challenge...

I'm a simple bloke, with very modest abilities. I pushed myself a little and know myself better now. That my limits are not as confined as I'd been led to believe. Now, I haven't changed the world. Far from it. Upcoming stories in the papers might raise some awareness, but there's still much to do.

And that's where the challenge comes in.

I have some friends who've done some pretty remarkable things. Immediately coming to mind are Alex Yap who's set up a children's home, Young Soon who's been working with kids in rural areas for years, Singam who is on the Board at Montfort in Melaka. I count Johari Low in that bunch as well, for always being generous of spirit and more when he saw a worthwhile venture.

Many more of us haven't pushed our boundaries that much though. We've, for the most part sat back and well, complained.

So did I. For years.

But now, I can't so much anymore. Whenever I do I am reminded of Hamzah who told me of a situation in the kampung: A Chinese resident had planted vegetables on public land on the edge of the ditch next to his house. The environment officers came around and didn't say a word so a Malay chap up the road did the same. This time the environment officers came around and asked him to clear it up so he complained that the Chinese chap was allowed to keep doing the same. To which the environment officers said 'Go and look at how he's managed his plants. He's keeping them neat and tidy and the ditch is unaffected. You, on the hand, are clogging the ditch and have to clear up the mess.'

Surprised? But it happens...

Then I recall David and how he sometimes counts among his party guests the local assemblyman, a Malay gentleman who comfortably sits among the other guests as they partake of food or drink that is not halal.

Mere anecdotes? Perhaps, but so much of our lives are built around anecdotal accounts, aren't they?

Every positive encounter I've written about here is confirmation that there's a strong heart still beating in our country. A sense of community, muhibbah, that we've all but forgotten in the cities.

So here's the challenge:
Push your boundaries a bit this coming year. Do something instead of just talking. Get out of your comfort zone a little. Heck if I can, anyone can.

Only you will know what you want to do. Big or small. Modest or extreme. Doesn't matter. Just get out and do something positive. Don't fall backwards into the clutches of cynicism. If you want to share your ideas, or canvas support right here, by all means do that. You may encounter the same generosity of wallet and spirit that got me going!

As for me, the bike's going to be used for my weekend rides with my wife after it gets a good servicing (especially the brakes!) and not much more. The writing continues, however. I've been grappling with some issues on racial stereotyping, the rural/urban dichotomy, the unifying quality of a common language, and branding as applied to Malaysia in general. More to come I'm sure. One link leads to another.

Will you help pedal?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats JZ for your remarkable accomplishment, and thank you for allowing the rest of us to ride on your shoulder and share your experiences, to see through your eyes and heart that indeed there is some good out there and all is not lost. Will think of how to take up your challenge...

gerardcheong said...

Congratulations!! What will I read in the evenings now?

John Cheong said...

Thanks for the kind words, all. Back in Singapore now and getting to terms with a big city again. Fortunately we live in a quietish cul de sac of sorts so the transition is not too painful.

There is much all of us can do. Come to think of it, much still for me to do...

Give me a few days of rest before I get back in the saddle. Figuratively that is... LOL

JL said...

Congrats! It was a great vicarious journey... from the comfort of my desk. See you soon.

Anonymous said...

Dear John,
Hey hey its done, and of course it leads to much more. Very happy that you've made this journey, my heartiest congrats.Enjoyed viewing the photos from your journey - reminded me of the many things that I love about this country, and also reminding me that i too have to make a slow trip around Msia one day. Dont have time to read all your texts yet - but will slowly catch up. Cheers.

They called me John ‘Two-Hits-With-One-Stone’ Cheong

An old memory came to me today when Mei and I went cycling in Balik Pulau. After 2 months of being cooped up in our flat, it was great...