Monday 5 November 2007

Day 19 - 21 Nov 2 - 4 Teluk Intan Part 3

The next morning, I went back to the same place for breakfast. Not recognising anything in the display, and not being able to read any of the chinese signage, I asked at one of the stalls what she served, and eventually ordered a really yummy fish paste loh shee fun (the white noodles shaped like rat tails). When the same drinks lady from the day before turned up at my table I looked up and said 'Teh O' and she smiled and asked 'Less sugar, right?'. I was astounded. Well, OK, so I look like an outsider but still...

While I'm thinking about this shop, let me mention that as I looked around me that morning, it just seemed to me that everyone in the shop, seller and patron alike, was smiling, joking, laughing. It was like the aliens had landed and sprayed everyone with a happy spray. The customers were joking among themselves and I even spied an old chap give a friendly punch on the shoulder of another old chap who'd just walked in. Amazing!

After breakfast, I walked into town and this time actually went inside the leaning tower. It used to be a water storage tower of course and the tank is still there, though it is now disconnected. The tower acts as a free Wi-Fi transmission tower - a town council initiative. Amir had said it wasn't working these few days, but when I asked the guy manning the entrance, he said it had been fixed.

Later, when I returned with my laptop, I discovered it hadn't been and I still had no Wi-Fi. By this time, I'd raked up a RM45 telephone bill and was anxious to get proper high speed internet access.

When I walked back in the hotel I announced that the free Wi-Fi wasn't working, one of the girls suggested I try to bakery next door. Now, this is one of the girls who knew I was using the phone line for internet access and had been concerned the phone bill would give me a shock and she hadn't thought to suggest I try next door. Where they had free Wi-Fi...

I walked next door and for the price of a coffee (RM 1.50! But it came from a basic Nescafe machine and tasted awful) I had really quick net access.

As my battery went flat, a thought occurred to me and I went back to the hotel and asked if we could still get the coverage from the lobby. The same girl said yes - some Mat Salleh was doing it before... Grrrrr....

Anyway, there I sat, in the lobby, and whacked up a few posts and slide shows. I've never had such fast internet access. Ever. Or maybe, as Mei put it later that night when we spoke on the phone, it just seemed so fast compared to what I had before. I just wished they'd told me earlier!

Despite that I loved Teluk Intan. I liked the way traffic flowed smoothly and people could walk across 4 lanes of traffic safely and without being harassed, threatened or berated. I liked the casual atmosphere at shops and how most people seemed just so relaxed. I liked the friendliness.

That night, when I sat down for dinner (same place, I'm a creature of habit...) the old guy came over and asked if I'd wanted 'the same'. I declined, preferring a hot chinese tea instead. Then the food lady came over and asked what I'd like tonight. I said I preferred a meat dish and vege and she said 'oh ya, you had fish last night, right?'

I really like this place.

Here's a really long slide show... thanks, 'Just To Eat' Bakery....
(note added on 19 Nov 2012 - slide show changed to some stills)






















































Post to del.icio.us

No comments:

They called me John ‘Two-Hits-With-One-Stone’ Cheong

An old memory came to me today when Mei and I went cycling in Balik Pulau. After 2 months of being cooped up in our flat, it was great...