Thursday 15 November 2007

Day 26 - 29 Nov 10 - 13 Penang Part 2

Mei has been under some stress at work, with pressing deadlines and other pressures and had to cut short her leave. So our plan to rent a car and head out to Banding on the Temenggor Lake for a few days did not come to pass. Still, we had a few days of pigging out and expensive cab fares. And we did get to meet up with Francis and Sunil for dinner and also with Sunil's wife and kids. It seems Sunil's son now thinks I'm cool for folding him a jet paper airplane...

It was good meeting the guys. Francis had been SMSing me regularly the closer I got to Perak and to finally meet - in Penang - was great. He provided the story of the night when he recounted how one night, when he was a teenager returning from a late movie on his bicycle sans lights and rear brake (he did the feet-on-the-ground Fred Flintstone braking method when needed), he was coasting speedily down a hill towards home when he spied a police roadblock at the bottom of the slope. The cop saw him, raised an arm and shouted 'Lampu tiada - berhenti!' (No lights! Stop!) to which a helpless Francis Lim sailed past calling out 'Brek pun tiada!' (No brakes either!) Hilarious...

The days in Penang passed in a blur of food, peace, quiet and the warm and loving companionship of my wife.

The wedding was set amongst the Casuarinas that stand tall in the gardens of the Lone Pine. I'd known Chris 5 years or so now and it was nice to see him tie the knot. I also like to think that I had some small part to play in him taking the plunge.

A couple of years ago, he was party to my plan to propose to Mei with an engagement ring specially placed in her birthday cake. Our wedding by the sea in Singapore was intimate, casual, friendly and very personal.

Chris proposed to Mong while on vacation in Cambodia. He took out his video on the pretext of videoing them both, set it up on a quiet path, then went down on bended knee and asked her to marry him. By this time, a busload of Taiwanese tourists had converged upon the scene and they all clapped and cheered when Mong said 'Yes'.

Too soon though, it was time for us to leave Penang. Mei and I hung around after we checked out as she had an evening flight. I had decided to take a cab to the Ferry Terminal so we waited until 3:30 then piled into our respective cabs and headed off.

I had no real mood to ride much so stayed the night in Butterworth, in a very clean but cheap hotel. The owner recommended a chicken rice stall just up the road and he was right - it was fantastic. It helped alleviate the mood I was in with Mei's departure.

Tomorrow would be like Tanjung Piai once again...










































Post to del.icio.us

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hey JZ, spotted a typo. i believe chris proposed on bended 'knee' not 'knew'.

ps. u don't have to post this comment. :p

John Cheong said...

ah... but he KNEW what he was doing you see... ha ha

Thanks for being eagle-eyes. There are a few problems here and there I know - I'll clean it all up when I compile the material into something other than a blog. As things are, time is of the essence so I just whiz through stuff - hope you all don't mind the odd mistake here and then. And the split infinitives...

John Cheong said...

Yes, the Lone Pine setting was very nice indeed. The staff are very polite and friendly although I thought the front desk were very inflexible and not pro-active.

As for Francis' story, well, it must have been in his teens - you'll have to check with him though. I laughed like mad for quite awhile - Mei thought I'd gone off my rocker. Thing is I love bicycle stories - especially now of course!
:-D

They called me John ‘Two-Hits-With-One-Stone’ Cheong

An old memory came to me today when Mei and I went cycling in Balik Pulau. After 2 months of being cooped up in our flat, it was great...