Tuesday 6 November 2007

Day 22 Nov 5 Pantai Remis

After the hard run in last night, there was no way I could go out and do the 60+ kms in to Taiping today so I decided to sleep in and rest.

Judging from posts about Pantai Remis on the net, it is a one street town, with the main trunk road running right through the centre of a town lined with old buildings. From first impressions, it would indeed seem that Pantai Remis was just that.

I went out for breakfast and ordered a dry wanton mee. The first surprise came when I had it delivered to me in a saucer. A bit of a small dish, I thought, even if the amount of noodles seemed about right. The next surprise came a minute later when a bowl of yong tau fu arrived. It seems this is the style here - or at least at this coffee shop.

Later, I got the bike out and discovered that Pantai Remis is actually larger than just the one street. Quite a bit larger in fact. I wandered into a housing estate that began by looking like any in PJ or KL, and the getting progressively poorer and more dilapidated the further in I got. I even saw one which was just a burnt out shell of a house.

Over lunch I asked a hawker where I could find the sea - he pointed the way to the fishing village and I discovered that this stretches for miles. I rode around a few minutes and even saw a boat being built. Before I could explore any further though, the rain came down again and I rushed back to the hotel.

Just across the trunk road from the hotel is a night hawker centre and I had dinner there twice. The Malay satay was excellent.

Pantai Remis is a nice enough town and the setting certainly is pretty what with a large hill as a backdrop. The old town facade is quaint but seems to hide a harder side. I could detect a certain edge to the people - I guess fishing isn't an easy job and the people who wander the town look tough, suspicious even. Or perhaps the contrast with Teluk Intan exaggerated it. I must admit the few I'd asked directions from were nice enough.



















No comments:

They called me John ‘Two-Hits-With-One-Stone’ Cheong

An old memory came to me today when Mei and I went cycling in Balik Pulau. After 2 months of being cooped up in our flat, it was great...