Tuesday 6 November 2007

Great gadgets 1: Laundry Line

Here's the first in a series of posts on gadgets I have with me which have made the ride easier, simpler or just better.

I bought this laundry line in Australia in 2003 and have it in my toiletries bag all the time. It's proving to be very useful indeed.

Essentially two intertwined elastic strings, you can hook the ends to any point available, or loop an end around something like a chair leg. The intertwined strings allow you to clip your laundry on the line without the need for pegs.

Most places have two points I can stretch the line across, but occasionally I have to improvise. As I type this in Taiping (ahem) my laundry is stretched between the hotel room wardrobe and my bike's handlebar...

Very handy indeed!



2 comments:

Brommie Man said...

Hi John - caught up with your Blog at last after Ray sent me the URL. Now that washing line - what an invention! I use mine all the time whilst travelling. And of course you can always dry bits and pieces whilst riding.

The ride looks so interesting - I wish I was doing it. Maybe sometime in the future ....

Stuart

John Cheong said...

Hey there Stuart! Great you're finally catching up with my little adventures - and I wish we could catch up too. Maybe another ride, some other time eh? Oops, Mei's reading this and may not be too happy with the idea of another ride... Now, a tandem bicycle - that's an idea too...
The weather's been very wet so drying stuff on the bike is not working out. The Dri Fit clothes are usually dry by morning from the air-conditioning in the hotel rooms so that's not been a rpoblem though. :-)

They called me John ‘Two-Hits-With-One-Stone’ Cheong

An old memory came to me today when Mei and I went cycling in Balik Pulau. After 2 months of being cooped up in our flat, it was great...