Thursday 6 September 2012

Me and Mark go roadtripping Part 3


What is it about a simple burger, done simply, that is just so delicious. I bet it’s that darned Planta margarine they use. I shudder to think of the effect it has on my arteries but, hey, I only enjoy them a couple of times a year if that, so I’m not worried.

I have no idea how the name came about as the owner’s surname is Han. The current proprietor started the business sometime in the 60s I think, hawking burgers and hotdogs at the nearby Taman Jaya - all from the back of his bicycle. This Han took over at some point as they went from a bicycle to a motorcycle and then to a van. They stopped the mobile business, parking the van outside their house in Section 14 and only moving the van a hundred metres or so every now and then in order to satisfy the town council officers on their rounds. Malaysia Boleh!

The Hans remember me as the guy who’s always taking pictures and who sometimes takes out two foldable chairs from the boot of his Singapore-registered car, plants them down under the tree (now sadly pruned) and makes himself comfortable while enjoying a burger or two.

James, Mark and I finally got our fill, sans folding chairs. Just thinking and writing about Jackson burgers now is getting me hungry for them again…

We also managed to take the dogs for a walk around the neighbourhood and to take a walk down to Raju’s for breakfast one morning. This is a PJ institution of course and all La Sallians have a tale or two to tell about the place. Whether it was hanging out there smoking surreptitiously, or pontenging (playing truant) mere metres form the school, or having serious discussions with schoolmates, or just having a meal (they weren’t so expensive in those days), Raju’s history is tied inextricably with those of SMK La Salle PJ and the hordes of La Sallians who trooped through the school in the last 40 or 50 years.

To be honest I have no love for the shop - the way Raju and then his son/nephew/whoever treated their workers and their general arrogance in dealing with their retail neighbours and so on doesn’t sit well with me. However, I thought Mark would enjoy the experience and could probably put up with his old man going on with some of the tales about Raju’s.

I must admit that one thing Raju has going for it is the general ambience - after they cemented over the large drain and made the outdoor seating area, it is now a rather comfortable spot to enjoy some rotis and teh tarik. I reckon you get better food in Brickfields and some other PJ restaurants but with the exception of Kanna’s in Section 17 (near Section 19) the ambience can’t be beat. I also think Kanna’s has much better food, but you can’t walk there from the PJ house so Raju’s it was that morning.

The PJ part of the trip was very much to meet family so we didn’t do much exploring. We didn’t have much time and there was only a day or so in Melaka and we were determined to make the best use of that.

More in Part 4. Meanwhile, enjoy the pictures…
James and Mark on our morning walk to Raju's. Section 5 PJ is still, thankfully, reasonably lush.
Under the trees at Raju's. Tony Pua in the background - I had a quick chat with him
One of the 2 rows of shops known as Chantek Shops, named after the road they're on. Only Raju's and one Dobi remain from my childhood times. My friend used to live in this corner unit - Malaysia Dobi it was - but it's now some art gallery. Even the corner Indian provision shop is gone.

The old tree has been pruned so he's moved the van a few metres down.



Mmmmmm.....



Simple. Delicious.






No comments:

They called me John ‘Two-Hits-With-One-Stone’ Cheong

An old memory came to me today when Mei and I went cycling in Balik Pulau. After 2 months of being cooped up in our flat, it was great...