Friday 31 August 2007

Happy Merdeka Day!

It was 50 years ago today...

...and I think it'll take me a little under 50 days to do this whole trip. I've taken a short break from training as a couple of things have cropped up - there's still much planning to do for one thing, and also Mei's Mum has just had an operation. The latter went well and she'll hopefully be home in two weeks.

As for the former, it has gone extremely well on one front. I met up with Reezan two nights ago and we discussed GPS, PayPal, photo albums on the blog, the wonders of hypnotherapy...

Basically, I'm looking forward to answering the request for maps with a GPS system which will tie in with Google Maps and allow me to give you a clear idea of where I've been on the trip.

As this trip is self-funded from a thin wallet, donations are also very welcome indeed. I've begun to sort out my budgetary needs and with Reezan's help and advice will be putting up a PayPal shopping cart soon. This will allow people to sponsor cash, events or items. You could sponsor a week's ride, for example. Or a day. Or a video camera. Or even any amount that you are comfortable with. I hope to get this up and running within the next week.

I'm also looking to sort out a seamless photo album experience so you can have a look at photos without jumping from site to site.

Reezan's been a great help and it's fantastic how so many people are jumping in to help. It seems the idea of 'celebrating' has captured their hearts. I hope to have a similar effect through this blog with whomever drops by.

I shall end this posting with another celebratory message. Mei and I have been married for just under a year. For me to take off on this ride with her blessings and support is something I'm immensely grateful for. I would not blame her for thinking she'd perhaps gotten into a crazy relationship, but she's never so much as voiced a squeak of protest. Just last night, in fact, she reminded me I have not done any training in the last few days. I am indeed extremely lucky to have her by my side...

On that note, I invite you to celebrate this Merdeka Day with gratitude - for the good things you do have in your life, in Malaysia. Celebrate that. And Celebrate Malaysia.


Post to del.icio.us

5 comments:

Unknown said...

JZ, congratulations! My deepest admiration and respect to you. So many of us are content with just being armchair critics (myself included) but you're one of the rare few actually doing something about it and taking positive action. Makes me feel proud just knowing you, and being a fellow LaSallian is just icing on the cake. Good luck, all the best on your quest, and don't you dare pass through PJ without meeting up. :)
-tchi yu

Unknown said...

Way to go JZ. Great message. We are all gnats but if enough gnats act, we can move the elephant. Will help sponsor when you reach KL.
Lobang

CS said...

Great project, man! Drink lots of liquids, and I don't mean the amber type! If you get more people to join you, perhaps we could rename Aug 31 Gnational Day!! People power!

CHEAH WENG SUN said...

JZ, GO AND BLITZKRIEG THEM. GNAT or NOT. Enjoy your trip and may god's blessings be on you throughout.

John Cheong said...

Guys, thanks so much for your encouragement and friendship.

There is much work yet to do, and your support helps in many ways.

And I like the idea of 'Gnational Day'!

They called me John ‘Two-Hits-With-One-Stone’ Cheong

An old memory came to me today when Mei and I went cycling in Balik Pulau. After 2 months of being cooped up in our flat, it was great...