Tuesday 29 December 2009

So this is Christmas... Part 1

Another year ends. It’s been an eventful year for me with so many things occupying my thoughts that I have been less than diligent in writing. What better way to end the year then, than to rectify that?
So, as we look forward to a better 2010, I would like to cast a glance back at the people and things that I am grateful for that made a difference to me in 2009. This list is not presented in any particular order though without doubt, my wife, Mei, has been the most important person in my life in recent times and I have placed her first on this list.

So here it is: my celebration of 2009.

1. Mei
Mei and I just celebrated our third wedding anniversary. How time flies! We’ve had a wonderful 3 years with more ups than downs and I marvel at how she’s put up with some of the challenges that have come my way. She’s faced them all with equanimity, patience and unreserved support. In the last couple of years, I’ve made some pretty drastic course changes and consequently ridden some pretty hefty storms. Through it all, Mei’s stayed the course and that’s helped me navigate the waters better than if I hadn’t had her by my side.

At our wedding I talked about how there had been so many changes in my recent life and how all of it was good but the best of it was Mei. That opinion has not changed despite even more changes, and has in fact been more firmly planted.

In the last two weeks, courtesy of the La Sallian annual dinner and family Christmas gatherings, I’ve been thinking very much of old friendships. Being a bit of a packrat, I’ve kept some stuff from long ago and on a whim dug up an autograph book which contained the following Roy Croft poem. The words may not be mine, but the feelings most definitely are. So here they are, reproduced in tribute to the most wonderful person in my life - and top of my list of things and people I celebrate.

“I love you,
Not only for what you are,
But for what I am
When I am with you.

I love you,
Not only for what
You have made of yourself,
But for what
You are making of me.
I love you
For the part of me
That you bring out;
I love you
For putting your hand
Into my heaped-up heart
And passing over
All the foolish, weak things
That you can’t help
Dimly seeing there,
And for drawing out
Into the light
All the beautiful belongings
That no one else had looked
Quite far enough to find.

I love you because you
Are helping me to make
Of the lumber of my life
Not a tavern
But a temple;
Out of the works
Of my every day
Not a reproach
But a song.

I love you
Because you have done
More than any creed
Could have done
To make me good
And more than any fate
Could have done
To make me happy.
You have done it
Without a touch,
Without a word,
Without a sign.
You have done it
By being yourself.
Perhaps that is what
Being a friend means,
After all.”



1 comment:

CHEAH WENG SUN said...

che wah that was an excellent post !!! Feeling the love in you guys already. Go on champions!

They called me John ‘Two-Hits-With-One-Stone’ Cheong

An old memory came to me today when Mei and I went cycling in Balik Pulau. After 2 months of being cooped up in our flat, it was great...